8 Sports Boat
Builder: Latitude 8
Designer: Duncanson Yacht Designs
Selling Price: USD $39,999
LOA 8.0 m
Beam 3.38 m
Draft 2.3 m
Displacement 850 KG
Mast height above waterline 11.5 m
Articulating bow pole 2.9 m
Sports Racing Yacht
The Phuket Sports 8 is an exhilarating new one design sports racer designed
and developed by Price Phillip design award winner John Duncanson of Duncanson
Yacht Designs, Australia. The original design concept was born in the
island province of Phuket, Thailand where a group of very competitive,
ex-patriate yachtsman recognized the need for a no compromise, hi-performance,
trailerable sports racer that would also offer very basic accommodation
for occasional over-night stays.
• Folding wings reduce the overall beam from 3.4 to 2.3 meters allowing
for road legal trailering with the family car. Easily sailed with 4 people
and raced with 5-6.
• Exhilarating one-design or club racing in all conditions
• 4 full length berths
• Extremely efficient sail control systems and no deck winches
• The Phuket Sport 8s sailing performance can only be described
as outstanding in all wind ranges.
• Her huge sail area / displacement ratio of 850 kg ensures her
light air performance is second to none and medium to heavy air planing
speeds that are easily maintained into the high teens.
• The PS8 extreme draft of 2.3 meters ensures upwind speed and pointing
ability superior to most 30 foot racing designs.
• The PS8 features high-end rigging and foil components usually
only found on no-expense spared one-off racing yachts.
• Carbon fiber mast coupled with twin swept back carbon spreaders,
a carbon boom and 28 degree, articulating bow-pole are standard.
• All Dyform 316 stainless and no backstay.
• Retractable carbon fiber keel and rudder fin.
• Lead keel bulb and carbon fibre tiller and rudder box.
• Masthead & Fractional Kites (2010)
• Quantum Fat Head Main (2009)
• Quantum C1 (2010) & C2 Jibs (2012)
• Carbon / Kevlar C3 Jib (new)
The folding wings on the PS8 are watertight offering additional stability
and positive buoyancy in the event of a knock-down or swamping.
Stainless 316 pushpit, pulpit and stanchions with 316 stainless life lines
• Hull and decks are Durakore, epoxy / e-glass sandwich and polyurethane
• Keel and rudder foils are female moulded, vacuum bagged all carbon
• Carbon fiber tube tiller and rudder box
• Interior is finished in epoxy textured white
• Non skid grey deck
• Automatic take up reels for the Spinnaker halyard and Spinnaker
tack line. These bungee tensioned reels (situated under the cockpit control
console.) automatically take up the line tails keeping the cockpit free
of tangles and knots during spinnaker sets and drops
• Mainsail-traveler, boom-vang and bow-pole extender/retractor lines
are endless and travel under the cockpit, freeing the cockpit from rope
tails and ends.
• Mainsail-foot, cunningham and Bow-Pole traverse controls lead
under deck to the central cockpit console
• Ronstan / Fredrikksen deck hardware
• Ronstan tiller extension
• Barlow keel lift and halyard winch
• Carbon fibre rudder tube and 316 stainless retaining pin
• SS 316 stanchions
rigging and systems
• Main and Jib halyard – 6 mm spectra
• Spin halyard – 6mm spectra
• Spin sheets - 8mm tapered to 6mm spectra
• Tack line – 6mm spectra
• Main sheet 3:1 hi speed / 6:1 low speed in 7mm polyester
• Jib sheets 2:1 in 7mm spectra
• Main outhaul 8:1 in 6mm spectra
• Bow pole articulation 4:1 in 6mm spectra
• Main traveler control 4:1 in 4mm polyester
• Main Cunningham in 2:1 in 6mm spectra
• Boom vang 8:1 in 6mm spectra
• Keel lift 8:1 in 8mm spectra
• New galvanized launch trailer
• Tack Tic Race system – speed / depth
• Kite launch bag
• 3HP Tohatsu Outboard Motor & Cover